‘The Nutcracker’ Brings Holiday Magic with Enhanced Experiences
Ballet Arizona’s Critically Acclaimed Performance Takes the Stage Dec. 9 through 24
Rejoice in the spirit of the holidays with Ballet Arizona, the Valley’s only professional ballet company, as it presents the classic story of ‘The Nutcracker,’ choreographed by Artistic Director Ib Andersen. ‘The Nutcracker’ will run from Dec. 9 through 24 for a total of 15 performances, with afternoon and evening shows at Symphony Hall in downtown Phoenix. Located at 75 N. 2nd St. Phoenix, AZ 85004. All performances are accompanied with live music by The Phoenix Symphony.
In 2013, The New York Times’ senior dance critic Alastair Macaulay hailed Ib Andersen’s ‘The Nutcracker’ as “one of the three finest productions” of the nearly 20 versions he attended around the country. Ballet Arizona created the production in 2006 at a cost of $1.8 million.
The beloved ballet tells the story of a little girl named Clara who is given a magical nutcracker doll on Christmas Eve. She encounters the frightful Mouse King before embarking on a wondrous journey through the Land of Snow and the Kingdom of Sweets. Young and old alike will experience the many special effects, including the Christmas tree that “grows” to 40 feet, 200 pounds of “snow” falling during the snow scene and the firing of cannons onstage.
“The Nutcracker is about coming together to celebrate the holidays to the unforgettable music of Tchaikovsky. Watching it with your friends and loved ones will make your heart sing,” said Andersen.
Enhance your 2022 holiday experience by upgrading your evening at ‘The Nutcracker’ with:
- Capture the Magic | VIP Premier Package $95
Receive the VIP access pass when you purchase four premium tickets to ‘The Nutcracker’, including:
- Early entry to the Symphony Hall lobby to shop and get your Sugar Plum Fairy photo
- Hot chocolate for four from the lobby café
- Complimentary parking pass
- Pair of ballerina pointe shoes signed by one if the dancers
- Ballet Arizona tote bag
- $20 Ballet Arizona gift card
- 10% off at The Nutcrackerboutique in the lobby
Some interesting facts from this season’s ‘The Nutcracker’ performances include:
- More than 100,000 Austrian Swarovski crystals make the spectacular Snow Scene sparkle.
- ‘The Nutcracker’ scenic elements including sets, lights, costumes and special effects require four tractor–trailers and two 24-foot trucks.
- The Mouse King is more than nine feet tall with his crown.
- More than 7,000 pounds of dry ice is used for the entire run of the production.
- During the run of ‘The Nutcracker’, Ballet Arizona’s female dancers will use more than 300 pairs of pointe shoes. Pointe shoes are custom-made and cost more than $100 per pair. Most pairs of shoes last one performance.
- The sleigh that Clara and the Prince ride in is built on a mobility scooter and one technician lays inside on their stomach and drives it around the stage.
- The production uses 25 different backdrops.
Ballet Arizona’s opening night series sponsors are F. Francis and Dionne Najafi of Pivotal Foundation.
Single tickets are on sale now and can be purchased by calling the Ballet Arizona box office at 602-381-1096. Click here for more information.