No Full Closures Along Phoenix-Area Freeways Through Early January
No full closures are scheduled along Phoenix-area freeways between Friday night, Dec. 18, and Monday morning, Jan. 4, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
While highway construction and maintenance work will take place at times over the last two weeks of the year, ADOT and its contractors will continue the long standing tradition of not scheduling full closures during the holidays.
Drivers and passengers should focus on both health and highway safety if planning travel around Arizona in the coming weeks. Here are ADOT’s winter travel safety recommendations:
- No matter the destination, those with plans to travel during the current health situation should bring and use masks, be prepared to practice safe distancing and follow other public health guidelines
- Check your vehicle, including tire pressure, engine fluid levels and windshield wipers
- Never drive while impaired. Arrange for a designated driver or ride service if necessary
- Be prepared for winter weather in the high country. Carry an emergency kit in your vehicle (visit azdot.gov/KnowSnow and look for “Must Haves”
- Expect the unexpected. Extra supplies, including drinking water, will help in case of an unscheduled closure
- Please rest before traveling. Fatigue is a serious highway safety risk
- Buckle up and obey speed limits
- Allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and use caution in existing work zones
Avoiding distractions, including cell phone use and texting, can help prevent tragic crashes.
Real-time highway conditions are available on ADOT’s Arizona Traveler Information site at az511.gov, by calling 511 and through ADOT’s Twitter feed, @ArizonaDOT.