ADOT’s Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory – August 21-24
Stretches of Loop 101 and Interstate 10 in the Phoenix area are scheduled to be closed or restricted this weekend for improvement projects, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Drivers should allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the following weekend closures are in place:
- Southbound Loop 101 (Price Freeway) closed between Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) and Baseline Road from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 24) for pavement improvements and sign work. Both Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) ramps to southbound Loop 101 closed. Both US 60 (Superstition Freeway) ramps to southbound Loop 101 closed. Southbound Loop 101 on-ramp at McKellips Road closed. Both the westbound Loop 202 and westbound US 60 on-ramps at Dobson Road closed. DETOUR: Local traffic can detour on southbound Price frontage road or consider using northbound Dobson Road or McClintock Drive.
- Westbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed between State Route 51 and Cave Creek Road from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 24) for widening project. Northbound SR 51 ramp to westbound Loop 101 closed. Westbound Loop 101 on-ramp at Tatum Boulevard closed. DETOUR: Traffic can detour on southbound SR 51 to westbound Union Hills Drive and northbound Seventh Street to reach westbound Loop 101. Drivers also should consider alternate routes to avoid heavy traffic.
- Eastbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) narrowed to two lanes between Cave Creek Road and State Route 51 from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 24) for widening project. Eastbound Loop 101 ramp to southbound SR 51 closed. Cave Creek Road closed in both directions. DETOUR: Allow extra travel time and consider alternate routes while the eastbound Loop 101 ramp to southbound SR 51 is closed.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 closed between I-17 “Stack” interchange and State Route 51/Loop 202 interchange from 9 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday (Aug. 22) for tunnel maintenance. Both I-17 ramps to eastbound I-10 closed. Southbound SR 51 and westbound Loop 202 ramps to eastbound I-10 open. DETOUR: Eastbound I-10 traffic can detour to southbound I-17 at the Stack and connect with I-10 near Sky Harbor Airport.
- Westbound Interstate 10 closed between I-17 “Split” interchange near Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and Seventh Avenue from 9 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (Aug. 23) for tunnel maintenance. Southbound SR 51 ramp to westbound I-10 closed. Westbound Loop 202 ramp to westbound I-10 will remain open but traffic must exit I-10 at Seventh Street. The westbound Sky Harbor Boulevard ramp to westbound I-10 will be open but traffic will be limited to accessing northbound SR 51 and eastbound Loop 202. Westbound I-10 on-ramp at Washington Street restricted (access also limited to northbound SR 51 or eastbound Loop 202). Southbound I-17 ramp to westbound I-10 (including access to Sky Harbor Airport) at the Split interchange also closed. DETOUR: Westbound I-10 traffic can detour on northbound I-17 and connect with I-10 at the Stack interchange (north of Van Buren Street).
- Eastbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) off-ramp at 56th Street closed until late October starting at 9 p.m. Sunday (Aug. 23) for reconstruction as part of widening project. DETOUR: Drivers can exit at Tatum Blvd and use either eastbound Deer Valley Drive or Mayo Boulevard to reach 56th Street.
- Interstate 17 narrowed to one lane in both directions overnight near Happy Valley Road from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday and Monday nights (Aug. 23-24) for construction. DETOUR: Allow extra travel time and use caution in work zones. Reminder: Northbound I-17 on-ramp and southbound off-ramp at Happy Valley Road closed until mid-October for interchange reconstruction. Frontage road closures also in place near Happy Valley Road. Plan on using other area ramps.